In this post I describe how I went about building the fuselage nose section.
Firstly I built a rotating jig and mounted the bulkheads/frames. These were carefully aligned to ensure the correct profile was maintained.
Stringer locations were then refined to ensure correct alignment.
I was then able to begin attachment of the stringers. I used aluminium angle in a range of sizes – some flexibility was required for some portions of the nose, so smaller size angles were used in these areas.
Attachment of the stringers required numerous hand built custom aluminium angle components. This was a time consuming and laborious task – measuring, cutting, bending and drilling each angle to suit. I then began to rivet everything into place, once again ensuring the alignment remained accurate.
After many hours and many hundreds of rivets, the stringers are all attached. Starting to look like the genuine article!
Next time I’ll be detailing the development and construction of the inner intake nozzle.