The sheeting on the nose section is riveted in place and it’s now off the building jig.
So begins the process of filling the dimples and unwanted panel lines. I’m using auto body filler, commonly known as bondo or bog, depending on where you are in the world.
Fill, sand, repeat… After a while I decided to apply the etch primer to the aluminium, just to get an idea how it was looking.
Then a coat of undercoat primer
Still plenty of sanding and smoothing to be done, but coming along nicely!
I’ve also been busy designing the structure of the remaining fuselage, back to the engine intakes. I’m building the airframe in modules, both for ease of build and for transport purposes once it’s completed. My am is to make the assembly quick and painless after its been transported. So with this in mind, I built a 1/10th scale balsa model of the remaining fuselage to better conceive the design. This is the fuselage and rear box section, between the engine intakes.
My aim is to have the two parts slide together and attach to create a strong and rigid frame.
And finally, I’ve built a larger and stronger jig for the remaining parts of the build.