Just a quick update on my recent efforts to strengthen the structure of the rear engine half of the viper. The landing gear, wings and the rear engine housings are all encompassed in the rear structure, so I’ve included extra support to ensure adequate strength and durability for transport, etc.
I started by correctly aligning the front and rear sections and then used angled bracing to create a space frame:
Then I added the bottom longerons in 50 x 50 mm steel section, as well as the main spar supports for the wing mounting:
Then checked to make sure everything lines up as expected:
Next I’ll be mounting the port side engine and building the wing. I look forward to seeing how it all fits together!
I originally started on the viper build partly to give me something to do while I was waiting for another project to be done. Well that project has come back into my hands now, so I’ll have to share the love around a couple of big projects now. Project 1968 Dodge Charger has come back home after a number of years away at body and paint:
It looks magnificent in black and the guys have done an incredible job. Now I just have to remember how to put the jigsaw puzzle back together…
One thing’s for sure, it’ll be a quite a unique garage/hanger with both a Colonial Viper and a 68 Dodge Charger!