Among other things, I’ve been working on the port side engine. I’ve completed the skin on the engine housing and attached it securely behind the intake nozzle.
I’ve also started on the greeblie panel located between the port engine and the high middle engine housings. There was quite a lot of trial and error to get the look reasonably ‘correct’. Although ‘correct’ is very open to interpretation as the filming models differed from the full size mockup and the Moebius model differs from the old Monogram model. So anyway, a best guess and some artistic license required on my part.
Next up was deciding on the greeblies for the panel, again some guesswork and artistic license required. I went for a walk around my local Bunnings Hardware to see what I could find. I found some items that are reasonably close to the look I’m after and decided to go with them. Firstly there a two grilles/grates
I cut the sheet aluminium to expose the grilles
Then I attached some circular greeblies and pipework, similar to the full size mockup, along with two sections of C channel
I then did some experimenting with the engine greeblies behind the intakes. Lots of variations here as well. I tried using the full size mockup/Moebius greeblies in the first instance. Some copper pipe, fittings and soldering.
I wasn’t entirely happy with it, especially once I looked at the greeblies used on the filming models – much more variety and detail. So I’ve decided to use the filming model greeblies as the basis.
Lastly I acquired some 25mm (1 inch) square hollow section aluminium for the exhaust nozzle detail. I sliced up one for a very primitive proof of concept fitting and I’m satisfied it will do nicely. It’s going to be one of those long monotonous jobs…
Till next time, stay safe out there.