Work on the Viper has progressed a little of late, in between work, family, other hobbies and life in general.
One of the tasks at the top of my list was to strengthen the structure of the wings, so that I could replicate the mounting points at the engine housings, without the need for an additional (and unsightly) mounting at the intake. This is based on the original filming model, Revell and Moebius models, and unlike the full size mockup. To do this I added some longitudinal bracing and cut out holes to reduce weight.
I ended up with three longitudinal braces and they all add a great deal of strength to the structure, so much so that it is rigid under it’s own weight and solves my mounting point issue.
I’ve also been keen to get the high engine exhaust nozzle constructed and mounted. I know this was going to be laborious and time consuming, due to the detail. I found the best way to do it was to do a little at a time, an hour here and there to break up the monotony.
After much cutting, drilling and riveting I was finally able to position it and see the big picture, ready for the final steps.
Then some further work and mounting. I paid particular attention to the recessed gap between the rear engine housing and the exhaust nozzle. I wanted this to look right and it was worth the extra effort – I’m happy with the outcome.
Just a little black to give that burnt exhaust nozzle look.
Still a little more to finish up the nozzle but it’s looking the part. Then a further two more to build…
I’m planning on putting the wing sheeting back on, as well as the tail fin for a pre-Christmas / build status photo shoot, so stay tuned for that in the next few weeks.
Stay safe out there.